Redefining Success | Resorting Life Balance
THE YELLOw MORNING ROUTINE
#9 The Yellow Morning Routine
Do you start your day with purpose or intention or do you need to get on the caffeine train before you can even focus on your direction?
Routine is so important when it comes down to your daily success. It can be the difference between making or breaking with the structure being key to starting our day with focus and control.
Here are some points to consider when creating a morning routine:
- Plan your day the night before – look at your successes that day and what you can work on the next, then, prioritise the tasks you need to accomplish. Assessing where we have been is a great way to figure out the path ahead. This will then reduce the mental workload and prepare you for a good night’s sleep.
- Set the alarm – set it for the same time every day – even weekends. Make sure you don’t succumb to the snooze button. If you snooze, you lose! As soon as you are up, make that bed; you’ll be less likely to climb back into it and it will set you up to start your day with a productive mindset.
- Get some water – rehydrate yourself after that long period without any fluid. We lose roughly a litre of water every night so it’s no wonder we can feel woozy when we wake up. Try adding some lemon to the water for an added ‘zing’ and vitamin C boost.
- Put the coffee away – make sure you’ve fully hydrated yourself before reaching for the hard stuff. Caffeine interferes with our cortisol levels and in turn, can affect our natural bodily rhythms. If you can, look to have your first coffee around mid-morning. Your body will thank you for it.
- Get out into nature – or at least open the curtains and spend some time looking at the sky. The morning light will tell your body that it’s day time and will naturally energise you. It works on the same concept as the blue light emitted from screens and is the reason why we should limit screen time in the evening; the light disrupts our natural cycle and keeps us from naturally winding down, ready for sleep.
- Stretch – get your body moving and the blood flowing through your veins; warm up your muscles and get your brain into an optimal state, ready for work.
- Nourish yourself – make sure to eat a balanced, healthy breakfast. Fill up on natural and whole foods to kick start your metabolism and give your body the nutrients it needs to function efficiently. Or fast if that is more suitable for your body needs.
- Self-care – get washed, dressed, and polished. Giving ourselves time to make sure we are presented for the day ahead sets us up for success.
To see my Yellow Routine, take a look at my video here
To help you create your own morning routine, download my PDF routine tracker here and put it somewhere you will see it often so you are more likely to commit to it!